Luggage at a Glance
How many bags can I bring?
On most of our services you can bring 2 checked-in bags of up to 25kg each, plus carry-on luggage, absolutely FREE. This varies on some services - see below for full details.
Can I bring a bike or other large item?
Any item over the weight or dimensions shown below counts as oversize luggage. A fee will apply and we can't guarantee carriage - see our oversized luggage page for more info.
What can't I bring?
See below for a list of items that shouldn't go in your checked-in luggage, and a list of items we will not allow anywhere on board the bus.
Lost your luggage or left something on the bus?
See below on how to contact us about lost property or fill out our lost property form.
Need to store your luggage?
Store your bags at major cities across the country from just NZD$8 per bag / per day with our easy online booking. Find a luggage storage location and book in seconds.
Search luggage storage options in Auckland, Rotorua, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown.
InterCity Luggage Policy
For the the safety and comfort of all our customers, InterCity restricts the size, type and quantity of luggage or other belongings which you can bring on to our buses, and reserves the right to refuse permission for you to bring any item onto our service.
InterCity carries checked luggage subject to these terms and the Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017, Part 5, Subpart 1.
All luggage carried must be clearly labelled with the passenger's name, address, contact details and destination. InterCity luggage labels are available at InterCity ticketing agents.
When connecting from one service to another, passengers are responsible for collecting their luggage and ensuring it is checked onto the next service. InterCity does not provide a luggage transfer service.
The size, weight and number of luggage items that can be carried is specified below. If a passenger wishes to travel with more luggage than is permitted, or with oversize items, the item(s) may be refused if there is no available space.
- Up to two pieces per person weighing a maximum of 25kg each per person (20kg on some Auckland to Wellington services and any GOLD services). Each piece of luggage should not exceed total dimensions (length + width + height) of 158cm (62 inches).
- If you are travelling with a wheelchair, mobility scooter or baby pushchair that can collapse down to fit within the Checked Luggage size and weight dimensions, it can be counted as one of your two Checked Luggage entitlements. If the item cannot be collapsed down to fit our Checked Luggage size and weight dimensions, it will be regarded as Oversize Luggage.
- Please note that some buses on our network cannot accommodate oversize luggage; this includes the Auckland 380 Airporter Service and InterCity services operated in double decker vehicles, including but not limited to: 6503, 6504, 6513, 6514, 6364 between Wellington and Napier), 6367 (between Napier and Wellington), 6356, 6357, 6363, 6366, 6371, 6374, 6101, 6108, 7001, 7002, 7325, 7326, 7336, 6211, 6222, 6224, 6228 and 6229. Please check the notes under 'Service info' when booking your fare.
- Extra or oversize luggage may be carried subject to space available at a cost of $10.00 per item per sector, payable to the driver. Please note we cannot guarantee carriage of extra or oversize luggage on any specific travel date or service.
- Chilly bins, boxes and bags carrying fresh or frozen food and/or any frozen goods will not be accepted for transportation.
- All sports equipment luggage, including golf clubs, must be packaged into a holdall secure bag. If it complies with the size and weight dimensions above, the item will be counted as one of your two Checked Luggage entitlements. If not, it will be regarded as oversized luggage and a charge will apply.
- As we are a passenger service, we do not carry freight or unaccompanied luggage.
- Bicycles must be collapsed down (both wheels removed from the frame) with handlebars turned sideways and the chain covered. They should not exceed total dimensions (length + width + height) of 158cm (62inches). Bicycles presented in this fashion will be accepted for travel and counted as one of your two Checked Luggage entitlements. If your bicycle is not collapsed down then it will not be carried.
- Only InterCity staff may store or remove luggage from the lockers or trailer.
- InterCity's liability for checked luggage that is under InterCity's care and control is limited to $1,000 per item, subject to the exclusions for unsuitable checked-in luggage and prohibited items below. Passengers are advised to arrange their own insurance cover for amounts over $1,000.
Unsuitable checked-in luggageThe following items are deemed unsuitable for luggage stowed in the luggage lockers. If you do include such items in your stowed luggage, you do this wholly at your own risk and InterCity will not be liable for any costs for inconvenience, replacement, delay, loss or damage you or any other party may suffer.
- Passports and travel documents
- Cameras, video cameras etc
- Computers or computer equipment
- Electrical or electronic devices
- Business documents or important documents
- Fragile, delicate or perishable goods
- Valuable items, such as money, jewellery or similar
- Any item that is not sufficiently packaged to withstand normal effects of carriage by road transport.
- Each customer is limited to one carry-on item with dimensions not exceeding 20cm high x 28cm deep with a maximum length of 400mm. The maximum weight is 5kg.
- Handbags, umbrellas and walking sticks are permitted.
- Chilly bins, boxes and bags carrying food and frozen goods will not be accepted for transportation.
- You are responsible for your carry-on luggage, and InterCity accepts no responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage to carry-on luggage.
The following items are prohibited from being carried on or transported by any InterCity service:
- Liquids/creams not carried in watertight containers
- Flammable liquids
- Explosives (including fireworks)
- Poisonous, toxic, or hazardous substances
- Fuel (including gas bottles)
- Batteries (unless used in portable consumer electronic devices). For more details on what battery-powered items are prohibited please visit our Travelling with Battery Operated Devices page.
- Any form of firearm, weapon, explosives or ammunition. An exception applies to firearms, which can be accepted if they are unloaded and carried in a locked box or container that is designed to prevent access.
- Illegal drugs or substances
- Animals (except for assistance dogs)
- Frozen food and fresh meat, poultry or fish
- Any other item deemed unsafe by the driver or InterCity staff
Right of refusal to carry luggage
- InterCity has the right to refuse to take luggage if it does not meet the requirements set out in these Terms and Conditions, or if it breaches the Carriage of Goods Act 1979.
- If a Passenger travels with more luggage than permitted as above, then the additional item(s) may be refused if there is no available space.
- Prohibited items are not permitted either on-board or in the luggage compartment.
- InterCity does not carry unaccompanied parcels under any circumstances. Passengers must never accept luggage or parcels on behalf of someone else for security reasons.
InterCity will not be responsible or liable for any loss or inconvenience if a Passenger is refused travel under any of these circumstances.
If you have lost a passport, please report the loss to your embassy before contacting us.
If you have lost checked-in luggage, please fill out our Lost Property form or contact us as soon as possible so we can investigate. An investigation may take up to 4 business days and we'll come back to you once it is complete.
If you have lost carry-on luggage, please fill out our Lost Property form or contact us as soon as possible so we can investigate. An investigation will usually take up to 10 days. Because of the number of lost property enquiries we receive, we will only come back to you if the item is found.
Please note found items will only be held for three months.
Queries, claims and complaints
If you have any queries, claims, complaints or Lost Property related to InterCity, please contact us by:
2. Post: InterCity Group (NZ) Ltd, PO Box 26-601, Epsom, Auckland
Claims for compensation must be received by InterCity within 7 days of the date of travel. To make a claim please provide full contact details and time and date of journey.