COVID-19 Network Status
We’re happy to announce InterCity services will resume from 28 May!
Here’s what you need to know about booking travel and preparing for your trip with us.
Availability and bookings
Online bookings are now available for travel from 28 May onwards.
As we start to reopen our network, some routes remain suspended. We’ve revised our network map to show what routes will be operating from 28 May and where services are still suspended for now. Click the map to view the full version.
Travelling safe with InterCity
We’ve changed some of our procedures to help keep our customers and our drivers safe. Here’s what we’re doing, and how you can help.
Booking your travel
- Check your name, phone number and email address are correct on your booking so we can reach you for contact tracing purposes if needed
- You'll need to book and pay for travel in advance – drivers won’t be able to sell tickets
- Our phone lines are still closed for now, but you can reach us by email at email@example.com
Before your trip
- Feel free to bring your own sanitiser, mask or other PPE with you
- We can't accept excess luggage (because drivers are not handling cash) so please pack carefully
- Please do not travel if you feel unwell. If you do feel unwell, please contact us and we will transfer your ticket to another date free of charge.
Checking in and boarding
- Stay 2 metres apart from other passengers while waiting to check in
- Listen to the driver and follow their instructions as they load your luggage and direct you when to board
- Signage on board will show you which seats are available. Passengers belonging to the same bubble may sit together.
- Passengers who appear unwell will be supplied with disposable gloves and masks. These must be worn if they wish to travel.
- Hand sanitiser will be available on board
- Onboard toilets won't be available for hygiene reasons. The bus will make regular rest stops.
- Our buses are sanitised with commercial cleaning products after every service
Getting in touch
Our phone lines will be open again from Wednesday 27 May, 7am-6pm daily.
Thanks for your support and understanding while we were in lockdown. We can’t wait to be back on the road!
The team at InterCity
Why isn’t the whole network running?
In order to operate our services with physical distancing measures in place, less than half the seats on each bus are available. This means we’ll be operating at a loss. This means we’ve had to focus our operations on NZ’s main cities and towns for now.
When will the other routes return?
We don’t have a timeframe right now for when these routes will become available again, but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an update.
What if I already had a booking?
Our reservations team is contacting passengers with existing bookings affected by our network changes.
Can unaccompanied minors still travel?
There is no change to our unaccompanied minor policy, however please ensure children are aware of hygiene precautions to prevent the spread of illness (eg washing hands regularly, coughing or sneezing into elbows). If your child is unwell they should not travel – please contact us for a free transfer to an alternative date.
Why aren't you accepting oversize luggage or bikes?
Excess or oversize luggage usually incurs a charge per item. To protect our drivers and other customers and ensure a contactless experience, drivers will not be handling any cash. This means they cannot issue tickets or accept payment for oversize luggage, excess luggage or bikes that are not collapsed down according to our terms and conditions.
Will FlexiPasses be extended?
InterCity is extending the validity of passes affected by the COVID-19 lockdown period. Please contact us for more information.