For the the safety and comfort of all our customers, InterCity restricts the size, type and quantity of luggage or other belongings which you can bring on to our buses, and reserves the right to refuse permission for you to bring any item onto our service.
InterCity carries checked luggage subject to these terms and the Carriage of Goods Act 1979.
All luggage carried must be clearly labelled with the passenger's name, address, contact details and destination. InterCity luggage labels are available at InterCity ticketing agents.
When connecting from one service to another, passengers are responsible for collecting their luggage and ensuring it is checked onto the next service. InterCity does not provide a luggage transfer service.
The size, weight and number of luggage items that can be carried is specified below. If a passenger wishes to travel with more luggage than is permitted, or with oversize items, the item(s) may be refused if there is no available space.
The following items are deemed unsuitable for luggage stowed in the luggage lockers. If you do include such items in your stowed luggage, you do this wholly at your own risk and InterCity will not be liable for any costs for inconvenience, replacement, delay, loss or damage you or any other party may suffer:
The following items are prohibited from being carried on or transported by any InterCity service
• InterCity has the right to refuse to take luggage if it does not meet the requirements set out in these Terms and Conditions, or if it breaches the Carriage of Goods Act 1979.
• If a Passenger travels with more luggage than permitted as above, then the additional item(s) may be refused if there is no available space.
• Prohibited items are not permitted either on-board or in the luggage compartment.
• InterCity does not carry unaccompanied parcels under any circumstances. Passengers must never accept luggage or parcels on behalf of someone else for security reasons.
InterCity will not be responsible or liable for any loss or inconvenience if a Passenger is refused travel under any of these circumstances.
If you have lost a passport, please report the loss to your embassy before contacting us.
If you have lost checked-in luggage, please fill out our Lost Property form or contact us soon as possible so we can investigate. An investigation may take up to 4 business days and we'll come back to you once it is complete.
If you have lost carry-on luggage, please fill out our Lost Property form or contact us as soon as possible so we can investigate. An investigation will usually take up to 10 days. Because of the number of lost property enquiries we receive, we will only come back to you if the item is found.
If you have any queries, claims, complaints or Lost Property related to InterCity, please contact us by:
1. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or
2. Post: InterCity Group (NZ) Ltd, PO Box 26-601, Epsom, Auckland
3. Phone: 09 583 5780
Claims for compensation must be received by InterCity within 7 days of the date of travel. To make a claim please provide full contact details and time and date of journey.
We are unable to carry animals on board our vehicles. Guide dogs and other certified assistance dogs are welcome on board and are the only exception.
Under the provisions of the Smoke Free Environments Act (1990), bus services are required to be smoke-free, including on-board restrooms, where provided. Smoking of any kind, including e-cigarettes or vapes, is prohibited.
Passengers must be able to stand unaided when boarding and disembarking the bus.
Passengers who require somebody to lift them on and off the bus must arrange for this assistance at pick-up and drop-off points.
For health and safety reasons, drivers are not permitted to participate in carrying of passengers. Passengers are advised that InterCity operates vehicles designed for long distance travel, and that these bus may feature steps into the bus as well as internal stairways to passenger seating areas.
At least one $1 fare will be available on every InterCity operated service. Services operated in other liveries and carrier codes are not applicable. $1 fares are non refundable. Where applicable, "Free Seat" offers will substitute $1 fares. Find out more about getting a $1 fare.
A booking fee of $3.99 applies to all online reservations and is non-refundable.
If a passenger fails to join a service, their entire booking including any connecting bus, train or ferry services will be automatically cancelled.
While InterCity does not allocate seats, the driver may ask you to move to another seat so that families and groups, particularly those with children, can sit together. We ask that you comply with this request.
To qualify for InterCity Rewards dollars you must be a New Zealand resident. InterCity Transport Pass products (FlexiPass, TravelPass, Flexitrips, Commuter Pass) do not earn Rewards dollars, and Rewards dollars cannot be used to purchase InterCity Transport Pass products.
A minor is deemed by InterCity Group to be someone aged 7 - 12 inclusive. A minor is deemed to be unaccompanied if they are not accompanied by a person over the age of 18 years. No child less than 7 years old may travel alone.
InterCity Group will carry unaccompanied minors on InterCity and Newmans Coach Lines direct services only, provided that when purchasing the ticket all the required details were completed and the terms and conditions were agreed to.
If the ticket was purchased with an agent, the person purchasing the ticket will be asked to provide required details and agree to the terms. This information will be sent to our contact centre and logged with the driver.
If purchasing the ticket online, the details will be collected in the booking process and the terms must be accepted before proceeding to checkout. The information will be accessed by the contact centre and then logged with the driver.
If an unccompanied minor arrives at the bus and the driver does not have a record from the contact centre, the child will not be permitted to travel unless the guardian is present to complete a form at that time.
For safety reasons, persons under 16 years cannot travel on any sector of the InterCity overnight service between Auckland & Wellington (or vice versa) unless they are accompanied by an adult over the age of 18 years. This policy applies to service numbers 6503, 6504, 6505 and 6506.
Timetables published by InterCity Group (NZ) Limited (InterCity) or the operators of InterCity (together, InterCity Group) are indicative only. InterCity Group reserves the right to alter prices, timetables, routes and sightseeing stops without notice. InterCity reserves the right to operate services in non-InterCity branded vehicles.
If travelling to an airport or connecting with airport services, passengers should allow at least 90 minutes between the scheduled arrival time of their bus service and their flight’s check-in time, as InterCity cannot be held responsible for missed flights resulting from delays.
If a bus service is missed due to inbound flight delays, no refunds or transfers are available and a new ticket must be purchased. We recommend ensuring appropriate travel insurance to cover unforeseen events.
Only the person named on the ticket is permitted to travel.
Tickets may be resold if the purchaser is unable to travel. However the ticket may not be resold for more than the original purchase price and the passenger name must be changed on the reservation (amendment fees may apply).
Any tickets found to have been resold for more than the original purchase price will be cancelled without notice and no refund will be provided.
InterCity does not issue any refunds on unused hours, trips or sectors. Activation will occur when any travel reservation is made against the pass. There are no exceptions to this.
Multiple passengers on a single pass: If you have more than one person on a single pass then you must travel together throughout your journey. If you intend to travel as a group and need to travel on different dates please purchase individual passes for each person travelling. A $50 admin fee will be charged if you wish to split a pass once purchased. Full individual terms and conditions please visit the relevant website: InterCity FlexiPass, InterCity TravelPass
Wi-Fi is available on selected services and provided free of charge. If the Wi-Fi service is unavailable no refund will be issued.
The app will store your details so you don't need to log in every time. Your name and contact details will be stored by InterCity and may be used to contact you about your travel or about relevant offers. We will not share your details with any other companies.
Payments made via the mobile app are preauthorised before completion. The preauthorisation hold is imposed by your bank and will be removed upon completion or after a period of 10-14 days.
Access to and use of InterCity Group websites and mobile apps is not guaranteed and may be restricted or blocked without prior notice for maintenance, operational or technical reasons.
You may only access and use our websites and mobile apps to view the availability of our goods and services for your personal and domestic purposes, to transact lawful and authorised business with InterCity Group, and for no other purpose.
You must not use our websites or mobile apps to make an unauthorised, false or fraudulent booking and you must not take any action that could interfere with the normal operation of our websites or mobile apps.
1. The passenger acknowledges and gives consent for InterCity Group by itself or through an agent to take photographs, audio or video recordings, or other forms of recordings that capture the passenger’s image, likeness, voice, performance or all of these (“Images”) during the course of this activity / tour. The passenger acknowledges and gives consent for InterCity Group to receive and use Images of the passenger from other.
2. InterCity Group may use Images for marketing and promoting its services. The ways in which the Images will be used for marketing purposes include, but are not limited to, incorporating the Images in print, broadcast, internet media, direct marketing channels, downloadable content and applications, and all other media, platform or technology now known or to be developed for distribution around the world. The Images may be altered, modified, changed, combined or incorporated into other works.
3. The passenger has a right to request access to the passenger’s Images and to correction of those Images to ensure they are complete and not misleading. However, the passenger acknowledges that if the Images have been incorporated into marketing materials, it may not be reasonably practicable for InterCity Group to make any changes to the Images. The passenger authorises InterCity Group to refuse the request to correction in such circumstances.
InterCity Group may send you an optional customer survey to the email address provided in your reservation. There is no obligation to complete this survey and you may opt out from future surveys at any time.
InterCity Group may send pass customers emails containing useful information to help them manage their travel. You may opt out from future emails at any time.
InterCity, or any driver may at any time refuse to carry you, or remove you from any InterCity service, if:
• Any of them believe in their sole discretion:
- That such action is necessary for your safety, or the safety of the driver, any other passenger, luggage, or any other person;
- You are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or you are smoking, or you are behaving in a manner that is or may become dangerous, unlawful, offensive, abusive, intimidating or annoying to InterCity, a driver, any passenger or luggage, or any other person;
- That such action is necessary to comply with these terms, or any applicable laws, regulations, licenses, consents or approvals;
• You refuse to obey a reasonable request made by InterCity or any driver;
• You cannot prove to the satisfaction of InterCity or a driver that you are the person named in the driver's log or in any other InterCity generated ticket or travel information;
• You have previously committed an act of a type referred to in this section, and InterCity or any driver reasonably believes that such act may be repeated; or
• InterCity has previously advised you in writing that you are not permitted to use its services.
InterCity Group products and services are sold subject to the Carriage of Goods Act 1979 and:
The total liability of any InterCity Group member (which includes any franchisee) or any of their contractors or agents for any cost, expense, loss or liability suffered or incurred by any passenger or other person, whether as a result of wilful default, negligence or otherwise, is limited to the lesser of:
If a customer acquires or holds themselves out as acquiring InterCity Group products or services for the purposes of a business the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 will not apply.
These terms and conditions are valid as of 31st January 2017.