COVID-19 Network Update: Level 2
Kia ora friends,
We know you’ve been looking forward to being able to travel again, and we’ve heard from many of you asking if our buses will be running during Alert Level 2.
Like many New Zealand businesses, we have faced significant challenges dealing with the impact of COVID-19. As soon as the country went into lockdown, we began discussions with the Government to ensure they understand the vital role our network provides to all New Zealanders, and sought support so that we could resume operating as soon as possible. Our talks with Government and the Ministry of Transport have been encouraging and are ongoing. Since being privatised in 1991, InterCity has operated as a successful commercial organisation without any subsidies or funding from central or local government.
Unfortunately, while these discussions are ongoing, and due to the social distancing measures required, we cannot operate sustainably during Alert Level 2. Our buses would be restricted to less than 50% capacity and this prevents us from providing financially viable services. We know hundreds of thousands of Kiwis rely on our services to connect them with whanau, friends, schools and work and we share your disappointment in this delay.
We will continue to work with the Ministry of Transport and follow government advice on social distancing requirements. We hope to resume services under Alert Level 1 or earlier if we receive government support to do so.
Bookings are now open from Friday 29 May 2020. All bookings made for travel between 13 May and 28 May will be cancelled and refunded, excluding booking fees. If you would like to transfer your booking to a later date for free, please reply to our email with your booking reference and preferred travel date by 19 May. If we haven’t heard from you by 19 May your booking will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
We appreciate your patience and ongoing support.
Be safe, be kind New Zealand.