TravelPass Terms and Conditions
TravelPass Terms and Conditions
Buying your pass
- Your TravelPass™ is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
- You can cancel your TravelPass and get a full refund if you haven't booked any travel on it, or if you cancel it more than 2 hours before your first booked trip.
- If you have already travelled on your pass, or if you cancel it within 2 hours of your first booked trip, your pass is non-refundable.
- InterCity TravelPass™ is not transferable and cannot be extended.
- We highly recommend making sure you have travel insurance to ensure you are covered if for any reason you are unable to travel after booking travel on your pass.
- Backpacker rates apply. Correct, valid and current ID cards are required when you purchase your TravelPass™. YHA, VIP, BBH, ISIC & Nomads cards are widely accepted backpacker identification cards.
- Prices are in New Zealand dollars and are subject to change at any time.
- You can’t earn or redeem InterCity Rewards dollars on InterCity bus pass products.
Passes for multiple passengers
- Each traveller needs their own pass.
- If you want to buy two or more passes in one transaction, our contact centre team can set this up for you – just get in touch.
- If you choose this option you and your friend(s) must travel together on all the same dates and services. Otherwise you’ll need to buy the passes in separate transactions.
- If you buy two or more passes in the same booking but later decide to travel separately, please contact us to split your pass. We charge a $50 processing fee for splitting passes.
Booking travel on your pass
- Buying a TravelPass™ doesn’t guarantee you a seat on any service until you use the pass to make a booking.
- You must make your own travel bookings. You can book online, by free-calling our contact centre on 0800 33 99 66 (this number is for TravelPass owners only) or through an InterCity agent.
- InterCity® agents may charge a $3.00 booking fee per sector booked using your pass (this does not apply to the initial sale of the pass).
- Passengers can book travel 2 hours before departure on bus services.
- TranzAlpine train bookings must be made at least 48 hours in advance.
- Interislander ferry bookings must be made at least 26 hours in advance.
- Fullers GreatSights cruises and tours must be booked at least 12 hours in advance.
- For your own security, you need to provide your access code when booking travel.
- If a passenger’s name doesn’t match the name on the booking, they will not be allowed to travel.
- Hotel pick-ups and drop-offs are not available for pass owners.
- If you cancel a booking, the trip will be credited back to your pass, as long as you cancel at least 2 hours before departure.
- Calls to our 0800 number (for TravelPass customers only) are free when made from a New Zealand landline or New Zealand mobile and may not apply to calls made using international SIM cards. Check with your mobile provider if you are not sure.
- Each pass has a specific set of valid bus services based on the routes and regions included on the itinerary. You can’t book services or routes that are not included in your pass.
- You can use your TravelPass to book travel on the following services:
- InterCity (IC), InterCity Link (IL) and Newmans (NM) bus services
- GreatSights New Zealand (GS) and Gray Line (GL) coach services, except services GS9737, GS9738, GL9722 and GL9723 between Queenstown and Milford Sound
- selected Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands (GB) and awesomeNZ (AW) services
- You can travel on InterCity, Newmans and GreatSights services in any direction, but you can’t travel on the same service more than once in the same day.
- If your pass includes travel on the TranzAlpine train, only a single non-stop journey is included. You cannot stop off along the route (for example, at Arthur's Pass) and continue your journey another day.
- You can’t repeat travel along any sector.
- You can’t backtrack along a route unless it’s specifically included in your pass itinerary (for example, the return leg between Paihia and Auckland, or Milford Sound and Queenstown).
- Interislander ferry crossings, Milford Sound cruises, Hobbiton tours, Waitomo Caves tours, the awesomeNZ® Cape Reinga day trip and the Fullers GreatSights® Dolphin Cruise are only included in passes where noted.
- Travel on services run by operators not listed above is not included in your TravelPass.
- Timetables published by InterCity Group (NZ) Limited (InterCity) or the operators of InterCity third party services are indicative only. InterCity Group reserves the right to change prices and timetables and to arrange alternative transport, routes or sightseeing services without notice.
- You can book tours on your TravelPass by logging in and following the instructions on the tours page.
- Infants (children aged 0-2) aren’t allowed on the Cape Reinga and Ninety Mile Beach tour.
- When you book travel on a GreatSights or awesomeNZ service, only the bus travel and stated extras are included. There are no hotel pickups or drop-offs. You can pay for other extras like lunches during the checkout process.
- Milford Sound cruises must be booked along with a bus trip to/from Milford Sound at the same time.
- InterCity Group products and services are sold subject to the Carriage of Goods Act 1979 and:
- the terms and conditions set out on InterCity's website ;
- and any other terms and conditions published by the actual carrier or printed on the ticket;
- and any special conditions specific to that fare type or bus pass type.
- The total liability of any InterCity Group member (which includes any franchisee) or any of their contractors or agents for any cost, expense, loss or liability suffered or incurred by any passenger or other person, whether as a result of wilful default, negligence or otherwise, is limited to the lesser of:
- proven direct compensatory damages (which does not include, without limitation, loss of profit, revenue, saving or business or exemplary, indirect or consequential damages);
- or the amount paid by the relevant passenger for the product or service.
- If a customer acquires or holds themselves out as acquiring InterCity Group products or services for the purposes of a business the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 will not apply.
- For consumer information about the Carriage of Goods Act 1979 please refer to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs website: http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/