Join this InterCity excursion to a beautiful farm in rural Matamata which was used as the film set for "The Shire" as seen in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy and the upcoming Hobbit movies.
On a two hour guided tour of the film set you will get the chance to view Hobbit holes, the Green Dragon Inn, the Mill and many other structures that were created for the films and learn about how this beautiful piece of Waikato farmland was transformed into The Shire from Middle-earth.
- InterCity coach travel from Auckland
- Time at leisure to briefly explore the rural town of Matamata
- Two hour guided tour of The Shire film set including Hobbit holes, The Green Dragon Inn, the Mill, the Party Tree and much more
- Following the tour, coach travel to Auckland
- Please note that coach travel is onboard our scheduled InterCity services and does not include commentary
There are 4 options for departure & return with associated codes in the drop down below:
- Auckland to Auckland (ICAHA)
- Auckland to Rotorua (ICAHR)
- Hamilton to Hamilton (ICHHH)
- Hamilton to Rotorua (ICHHR)
Other Hobbiton Movie Set Tours
GreatSights New Zealand operates daily tours including Hobbiton Movie Set and a guided tour of the Waitomo Glowworm Caves. The tour includes picnic lunch, hotel pick ups and driver commentary. Commentary in Japanese, Spanish and Mandarin is also available. For further details see www.greatsights.co.nz/hobbiton-movie-set-tours/